Monday, April 09, 2007

OK, it's really not placebo, SB works

Y'all know this is my second week on the South Beach diet. From the very first day on it, I've felt amazingly good. I've been sleeping better, have more energy, am friendlier (as if this was possible;)), and have a clarity that's been missing for a while.

I spent Easter weekend at Mom's and blew the SB out of the window. The first night we had spaghetti with meat sauce AND garlic bread and I had a horrible night's sleep. I kept waking up every hour and tossing and turning. I was also terribly bloated the next day. Easter Sunday came and was a day of excess....full of candy, chocolate and bad/sugary carbs at dinner (brown sugar sweet potatoes, anyone?). This night's sleep was just as restless and I had that creepy/crawly thing going on in my legs and was getting very irritable because of it. When I woke up this morning I was groggy and bloated again.

The moral of the story is that sugar is most likely the reason I'm not sleeping well and can't shake this 20 lbs off of my body no matter how much I exercise. It affects the way I sleep and my mood during the day. Being on SB has made me realize this and I will not fall off the wagon again. It's just not worth the aggravation. I felt great without those irritations, so today, I'm back to clean eating without processed carbs or any sugar.

1 comment:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

People react differently to foods. I feel heavy and sluggish if I eat meat, but others feel energized by it.

I say listen to your body and do what feels right. As long as you're getting all the right nutrients, you're fine. Don't listen to any critics. They don't have to live inside your skin.

But do keep eating your Mom's spaghetti. It'll make her happy, and in years to come you'll be glad you made the little sacrifice. (Or at least that's what I tell myself when I eat ham or roast beef at my mom's house, LOL!)