Saturday, November 05, 2005

Treacle Toffee

The hubby sent me an email asking if I could make him some treacle toffee. Apparently for Brits, every November 5th is Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night. This year it's the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot. His "mum" used to make the family treacle tofee each year and they'd go to a huge bonfire to celebrate. Yeah.

Without even knowing what treacle is, I said "I'd love to!". I went straight to work and found all I needed to know about treacle and the toffee that it makes. Very easy. Very yummy. Very dangerous for dental work!

It's a severely addicting taste and even though it freaks you out when it gets soft and sticks to every tooth you have, you can't stop eating it! I've never been a fan of hard candy...but hard candy that turns soft and gooey...now that's the stuff!

Les saw me making it and was a bit worried because his mum's recipe was different from what I found. We expedited the setting process by putting it in the freezer. Some time during the night of our Father Ted marathon on BBC America, he got off the couch and pulled the treacle from the freezer. It was wrapped in wax paper and he broke it up against the kitchen counter. He was happy and so was I. My first candy adventure was a success:)
*--->click here for Treacle Toffee recipe<---*

No comments: