Saturday, July 23, 2005

Whole wheat disaster

Okay, since I was the 1/3 of our little trio that had not attempted the whole wheat pancakes, I decided to give it a try. I had a feeling it was not going to turn out as planned....and I was sooooo right.

The recipe is here, and for all intents and purposes, it *should* have worked because Alton Brown is a totally kick-ass chef. However, I did not have buttermilk. So, what did I do? I searched for substitutes and decided on plain yogurt (because adding vinegar, lemon juice, or cream of tartar to milk sounded just plain wrong).

They turned out very mealy and straight from the earth....tasty in a psycho-health-nut-kind of way. You know...the sort of people that can live in the Redwoods for a year at a time to save them from being cut down.

I knew right away that Les was going to need something else to eat, so I scrambled up some eggs, canadian bacon, mushrooms, and onions. Topped them with chives and a really nice and creamy bleu cheese called Castello. Eggs saved the day, hooray for eggs! Les ate the pancakes in silence...thank god he brought home some quality maple syrup from Toronto:)

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I always keep powdered buttermilk on hand just in case. It works fine - just mix it with your other dry ingredients.

Amy said...

Poop. I was just about to tell her about powdered buttermilk and you beat me to it. I shoulda known.

Sheri said...

Hehehe. She said poop!