Monday, December 26, 2005

BBQ Spare Ribs

Soooooooooooooooooooooo unhealthy, I know people! But, but, but...we really wanted them! And when I saw Les reaching for a BOXED appetizer of spare ribs from the grocery store freezer section the other day. "Oh, no!" I said, "Honey, let me make you some yummy ribs and leave these here:)"

I bought de-boned pork spare ribs and started them marinading in my proprietary marinade. They soaked in this spicy and citrus-y mix overnight. Due to the citrus, the meat cooks a little bit...which is okay;) I put them into the oven for 1.5 hours covered with foil at 350 degrees. Turn them over one time in the middle of cooking. The trick to good ribs is "low and slow" braising. Kinda like Long Slow Distance running is to a triathlete;)

While they are in the oven I'll make my proprietary bbq sauce. After the first 1.5 hrs of cooking, I'll remove the foil and drain all juice from the pan. Then you brush half of the bbq sauce on them and put them back into the oven for a half hour. At the end of this half hour, turn them again and brush the other half of the sauce on.

Serve with a salad...it's the only way to reduce the guilt. Notice I said 'reduce', not 'remove':D

2 comments:

Cate said...

Unhealthy is OK once in awhile -- those ribs look delicious!

it's only fuel said...

Thanks for the encouragement! They were quite tasty, Les is eating the leftovers as we speak....and we JUST had dinner!